Helping mother-to-be to be a mother
This lady had head injuries and multiple fractures after a car accident. She had lost her ability to exercise, or mix socially. Visual problems, a poor sense of smell and fatigue were compounded by headaches, irritability, loss of sense of humour, difficulty with writing and discomfort when using stairs.
Other areas of difficulty included word finding, memory, attention span and organisation. Her right side weakness even affected personal hygiene. After her marriage and pregnancy she needed extra support.
What we did:
- Adapted her car, to make driving easier.
- Worked with client and health visitor, to make special arrangements for arrival of baby.
- Advised on equipment needed, to facilitate caring for baby.
- Established routines and lists, to cope with baby.
- Installed smoke alarms.
- Provided the means to enable personal hygiene.
- Established coping strategies for memory and attention deficits.
- Recruited a person to assist with household activities.
- And, above all, helped her to re-establish structure and interest in her life.
- The client has been able to care for her baby with the minimum of assistance.
- She now has increased mobility, to the benefit of the baby, herself and her husband.
- She has taken a keen interest in child care and associated activities.
Meet the Team
Founded in 1992, ILS now provides nationwide and overseas coverage.
“The support offered by the Case Manager, has been invaluable. ILS treats its clients as human beings and not just a customer number..... ILS put the needs of our son first... While I would never wish for anyone to be in our situation, I would have no hesitation in recommending the services of ILS ”
Mother of client