Clare Woods - MSc, BA Hons, (M)RSCLT, (M)ASLTIP
A speech and language therapist with over ten years experience providing assessment, diagnosis, direct and indirect intervention for adults with communication and or swallowing difficulties. Clare has a particular interest in working with people with complex social communication difficulties using a functional approach to intervention.
Highlighted Areas of Experience/Specialism
- Acquired and Progressive Neurological Conditions, including
- Traumatic Brain Injury, CVA (Stroke) and Dementia
- Adults with Autistic Spectrum Conditions
- Functional and organic mental health conditions
- Adults with a learning disability, including complex needs
- Acquired Language Disorders; Analysis and Intervention, Merit, MSc Module, Sheffield University
- Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO), Lorna Wing Centre for Autism
- Basic Dysphagia Course (adults), Sheffield University
- MSc Speech and Language Sciences, University College London
- BA (Hons) English Literature and Applied English Language and Linguistics, Kingston University, 2:1
- Health Professions Council (HCPC) PIN : SL 17277
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT)
- Head Injury Special Interest Group
- AAC Special Interest Group
- Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP)
Career to Date
Speech and Language Therapy Service Coordinator for ILS Rehabilitation Solutions.
Advanced Speech and Language Therapist, Independent Practice
- Providing specialist communication and dysphagia assessments and intervention for adults with a range of conditions
- Working with adults with a communication impairment as a result of: TBI, CVA, Autistic Spectrum Conditions, Learning Disabilities
Advanced Speech and Language Therapist, Queen Alexandra Hospital Home, Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust
- Providing specialist communication and dysphagia assessments, intervention and rehabilitation for adults with a range of acquired neurological conditions.
Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Rapid Response Dysphagia Service, Adult Community Team, Sussex Community NHS Trust
- Providing specialist assessment and management in the community for adults with dysphagia as a result of CVA, Dementia, Acquired Brain Injury and Head and Neck Cancer.
Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Adult SLT team (0.8 WTE) and Specialist SLT in the Adult Asperger Service (0.2 WTE) for Your Healthcare (formally Kingston PCT)
- Providing specialist assessment and management for clients with progressive neurological conditions within the mental health service.
Providing specialist communication and dysphagia assessment and management for clients with acquired neurological conditions
Developed the first SLT service independently and administering specialist diagnostic assessments (primarily using the Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders).
Providing post-diagnostic support for clients diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and their family/carers
Speech and Language Therapist, Adult Learning Disability team for Kingston PCT
- Assessment, planning and managing intervention for people with learning disabilities with a range of communication and eating and drinking difficulties.